Is disowning my mother the only way to protect my assets from her unpaid charges? 5 Answers as of January 13, 2015

I would like to protect my assets from any charges that my mother might incur as a result of her irresponsible financial dealings. I have read about "filial responsibility", which gave me the impression that I might be held responsible for any of her unpaid medical/facility charges. The idea of filing a petition removing me from filial responsibility did not seem appropriate, since I was not abandoned as the rules seem to be saying. I'd appreciate your legal suggestions.

James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
You are not responsible for her debts and you don't need to disown her.
In over 50 years, I have never seen a situation where a creditor went after a child. The legal theory seems to be at odds with the practice.
Your own assets are not subject to the debts of your mother. You have no legal responsibility for your parents. While a child is a minor, the parents do have an obligation as to certain matters, but not the child as to the parent.
Children are not responsible for the debts of the deceased parents.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
So long as you do not do anything to obligate yourself for your mother's debts, you will not be responsible except to the extent that she gives or leaves you anything.