Is the co-signer responsible for the loan now that I no longer have access to the loan? 10 Answers as of May 29, 2013

A relative co-signed on a private student loan for me. Nearly a year ago, I filed bankruptcy and the loan was transferred to him. When I called the loan provider because I was unable to login so I could continue making payments, they told me I no longer had access to the loan without his permission. When I log in to pay, it's all his personal information and mine is nowhere to be seen.

You most likely did not get a discharge of this loan. I'm not sure what is going on with the loan servicer. You could mail in payments. If you do not pay, they will go after the co-signer.
Hayward, Parker, O'Leary & Pinsky, Esqs.
Hayward, Parker, O'Leary & Pinsky, Esqs. | Michael O'Leary
While I have no idea of the internal mechanics of your lender's loan payoff department, if the private student loan is a qualified education loan, as defined in IRC ? 221(d)(1)? (as most private student loans are) it is not dischargeable in bankruptcy and you are still obligated for the payments. I would suggest that you jump through whatever administrative hoops the lender requires you to jump through so that you can make your electronic payments. If the process of paying electronically is not working out, try the old fashioned way and send them a check. It is a quaint technology, but it still works.
Law Office of Sean P Fleming
Law Office of Sean P Fleming | Sean P Fleming
It sounds like you're no longer responsible for the loan per your bankruptcy filing.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
You will need to work with the lender to get this fixed. It appears that the co-signed will need to be involved.
Unless your student loan was discharged by specific bankruptcy court order (the general discharge would not be sufficient), you are still responsible for paying this debt as is your co-signer.