Is cocaine possession a felony or misdemeanor in Michigan? 3 Answers as of November 16, 2010

I was arrested for PCS of cocaine after police searched my car on 10-20-2010. Is this going to be charged as a felony or misdemeanor? It was a small quantity in my backpack and I have never been in trouble with the law before.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
The charge of cocaine possession is a felony. However, the charge of using cocaine is a misdemeanor. If you are arraigned, you may be charged with an offense punishable by jail time. You have a right to retain the council of your choice or the court will appoint one to represent you at the publics expense. My advice would be to contact an attorney to represent you in this matter.
Possession of cocaine is a felony. However, depending on how small the amount is, you might be able to successfully plea bargain to misdemeanor use depending on your previous record and who the judge and prosecutor is and what the facts of the case are. There may be a lot of motions that could be made that may help you or even get the case dismissed entirely. I would suggest consulting with or hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney right away. Best of everything.
The Barrix Law Firm
The Barrix Law Firm | Jason Barrix
Possession of Cocaine is a Felony of Michigan. Even a small amount for personal use is punishable by imprisonment for a period determined by the amount of the controlled substance possessed. The punishment can range from 2 years upward for larger quantities. Furthermore, conviction of a drug crime results in the suspension of your drivers license for a period of six months to one year depending upon your prior record for prior drug offenses.

These cases are not without hope a well qualified lawyer will know that there have been substantial changes tot he law recently regarding search and seizure which may help get your charges reduced or dismissed. Furthermore there are provisions within the law that can help keep your license.