Is a business obligated to refund payments for unused services? How? 9 Answers as of September 03, 2015

I prepaid for services that I never used. The business refuses to refund my payments. Are they legally obligated to refund me?

Check your contract. I'm sure it's covered in there. Good luck.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
No definitive answer is possible without MANY more details. It is certainly possible to enter into a "no refund" contract.
That depends entirely on the contract language in the document you signed. ?If it says you have to pay whether or not you use the services, you are not entitled to a refund. ?Many service businesses have this provision because they know most people will not use everything they are entitled to.?
It depends on your agreement. Review every document you signed in connection with the transaction. It may be that you paid for the availability of the services, rather than the services themselves.
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
If there was a written contract, then it will more than likely answer your question and control how a court would rule in any dispute. If there isn't a written contract, then typically either course of dealing (ie: how this business, or other similar ones, usually deal with such a situation) will control or what is fair and equitable will control. So if no written agreement, then the specific facts of the situation will be important. For a more in depth and researched answer, you would have to consult local counsel.