Is being arrested for a hang over a DUI? 5 Answers as of September 10, 2010

My friend was arrested earlier this week and they charged him with a DUI. He was driving home in the morning from a hotel where he stayed the night before so that he would not have to drink and drive. Can they really charge him with a DUI for that even though he was careful?

Hale Law Group
Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
If he was over the legal limit, short answer, yes.
If the police had a reason to stop him and he still had a high blood alcohol level he can still be charged with a DUI. This could happen because he drove before he was over his drunk. Have him contact me so we can go over his facts and provide him with options.
The Law Office of Denis White
The Law Office of Denis White | Denis Hurley White Jr.
Yes. If he was impaired or his blood alcohol level was .08 or higher he can be charged with a DUI.
Can they? Well, they did. Your friend faces potential jail time, fines and other penalties if convicted. His attorney will use whatever facts, evidence, testimony, etc, may be available in appropriate motions, plea bargaining or at trial as appropriate. If he is serious about hiring counsel to defend him, have him contact me.

Keep in mind: When you are arrested for DUI, upon release from jail or booking, you will be given documents that include a notice from DMV that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of the automatic one-year suspension of your license. Contact DMV and do so, timely. You can hire an attorney for that hearing if you want.