Is bankruptcy an option if I am being sued by my University? How? 6 Answers as of August 21, 2015

I owe money to a previous University, the account was sent to collection and they are doing what debt collectors do (harass and try to be strong arm). But what worries me about this issue, is that they can possibly sue me for the debt. The original total amount of money due was about $2,700.00, but after certain fees were tacked on it is now $4,000.00, so basically I am asking what the worst that can happen is? And what is likely to happen in this situation? As a side note, I did not borrow any money from the Government or Private lenders, it is just an unpaid tuition (most people I've spoken to before have a hard time differentiating the difference between borrowed money and my actual situation) I hope someone can help!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
It is dischrgeable in bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/21/2015
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
That is a discharegable debt. If the collectors are calling too often or say harassing things, see a lawyer about a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case. Log all calls, date and time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/21/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Unless you have a lot of other debt totaling over $20,000, I would not recommend bankruptcy to solve your debt problem. If you want to settle this debt, you need to understand that settlement will not allow you to make payments but will require a lump sum of cash.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/19/2015
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
Student debt are usually not discharge able.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/19/2015
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
As long as the bill is just unpaid tuition and not a loan, it is dischargeable in bankruptcy. Whether that amount justifies filing bankruptcy is a different question. You may be better off trying to settle for the original amount.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 8/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: