Is asking an attorney to let you see all documents before being mailed out micromanaging? 15 Answers as of September 16, 2013

I recently asked my lawyer to let me see everything before it's submitted to the responding party. Mainly because I believe a lot of the paperwork hasn't been done when promised. The response was "that is a very unusual request and not common practice, so it won't be done." Is this true? Am I micromanaging a lawyer who has a tendency of avoiding communication on a regular basis and whom I'm starting to think is proving himself of being untrustworthy?

Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
It is micromanaging, however, we work for you. You hire us, you are the boss of the relationship. The file belongs to the client. We are obligated to keep a copy at least in MN for 7 years but otherwise the file is for the client. It is an unusual request but one that I would accept, mostly because clients own the relationship and they are free to fire us whenever they want.
Maybe. Why not just be honest with the attorney and tell him why you want to see the docs. If you don't like the way things work with this attorney, you could always get another one.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
It is a very unusual request and, in my opinion, constitutes micro managing. If you don't trust your lawyer, you should get another one or handle the matter yourself.
Ellis & Abouelsood | John Danelon
It is fairly uncommon for attorneys to provide all paperwork to their client prior to sending it out to opposition, but that does not mean the request to do so is uncommon. Realize however that while the law gives the client the right to make most decisions related to their case, the law allows that only the attorney be responsible for making decisions involving legal strategy, thus your micro management is largely for naught.
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Complain to the Florida Bar, consider changing attorneys. You have an absolute right to see what representations your attorney is making about you to the opposing side.
    To be honest it does sound like you have issues, if a client said to me that they wanted to see everything that went out first, the first thing to go would be the client.
    The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
    It is typical that all correspondence be forwarded or copied to a client either concurrently or shortly after it is sent to an opposing party. Certain things like declarations and discovery responses must be reviewed and signed by the client before they can be served. But, it is unusual and not reasonable that a client would review all work product of the attorney, before it is sent. In my office such a request would be completely impractical and unworkable. I absolutely would not allow such a thing and would wish you the best of luck with new counsel.
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    Since certain responses require that you respond "under oath", you absolutely should have an opportunity to review the documents. It should not be an inconvenience for your attorney to e-mail a copy of correspondence to you prior to sending. Your request is not overly burdensome.
    Law Office of Brent R. Chipman
    Law Office of Brent R. Chipman | Brent R. Chipman
    Yes it is micromanaging, and it will increase your legal fees. However, as the client you have the right to make the request. Most attorneys copy all pleadings and correspondence to their clients. If your attorney does not want to agree to your request, you can probably find one who will.
    You may want to think this over carefully and talk to your lawyer about this. If the attorney is not doing the job, then talk to another lawyer.
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    In my very humble opinion, you have every right to review documents first. You also have every right to switch lawyers, too. I do not believe your request is at all unreasonable.
    Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
    Absolutely not. An attorney who tells you that you don't get to review and approve, in advance, the documents that are to be prepared and sent out on your behalf is an attorney to run from. Now it is possible for a client to micromanage his attorney by being a busybody, i.e., so under foot that he does more harm than good. But asking to see and approve documents prepared on your behalf and that will be presented to the court as being filed with your approval, is simply not micromanaging.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    If you don't trust your attorney, get another one. You will just increase fees by micromanaging and still it is likely you won't be happy with the service.
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    Regardless of whether or not this is micromanaging, if you do not trust your attorney, then get a new one.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    It is my opinion that it is your case and you are entitled to ask to have it handled in any way that makes you comfortable. It is important that you trust your attorney. If you don't, you should begin to look elsewhere for legal assistance.