Is an inc business already copyrighted or do I have to copyright it myself? 9 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I own a business and it is an inc. I want to know how to copyright my business or if it already is copyrighted.

The Law Firm of P. Jeffrey Martin, LLC | P. Jeff Martin
You are most likely referring to a trademark to protect your corporate name rather than a copyright. A trademark identifies a particular source of goods or services from those of another source. Trademark examples include VerizonR and AppleR. A copyright is a form of protection provided to authors of "original works of authorship," including literary, artistic, musical, dramatic, and certain other tangible works.
Gerald Walsh | Gerald Walsh
You cannot copyright a business. You can copyright only a work of art. The name of your business is protected by the trade name that you provided when you became incorporated in your state.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
I think your question is really for a trademark. A copyright is for an artistic expression like a song, book or painting. A trademark is for a name or slogan. No you inc is not a trademark. You will need to file for a trademark with the US trademark office. www,uspto.gov or find a local attorney that handles trademark filings.
DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
Business names usually are not eligible for copyright protection. You might be thinking about "trademark". If you own an "inc", and have these questions, you should engage an attorney to help you.
Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
Incorporation and a copyright are completely different things. Furthermore, neither will protect your business name. The name of a business can be protected as a trademark. Based on the questions you are asking, I urge you get professional help rather than trying to do these things yourself. It is dangerous to rely on self-help in a subject area you do not understand. Even if you learn enough to successfully file documents etc., in the event of dispute later on, you may find that you have done is ineffective. By then it may be too late to fix and/or change the situation.
    Mark S. Hubert PC
    Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
    You cannot copyright a business. Are you referring to trademarks?
    Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
    A business name cannot be protected by US Copyright Law. Likewise, a business name cannot be protected by US Trademark Law. Most states will not allow two companies to be formed under state law - if they have the same or very similar names. Different states however - may allow duplicate (or more) company names to exist. To be unique - search GOOGLE or BING for your company name.
    Tran & Associates | Bao Tran
    The business itself is not copyrighted, so you need to apply for a copyright.
    You cannot copyright a business, no matter what it's structure. Copyright only covers the expression of an idea - such as a book, a movie or TV show, a work of art, computer software programs, an architectural design, choreography, etc. You also can't trademark or copyright the name of your business.