Is an immigration interview different if you are married? 2 Answers as of November 10, 2010

My fiance is American and currently we both live abroad and I have not been to the U.S. before. I know you have to take a naturalization test if you want to be a citizen but if you are marrying a citizen do you have to take this anyway or do you just have to do a marriage interview? Are these similar? Do I need to collect documentation and photos for the marriage interview?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
Naturalization interview and interview for an immigrant visa or green card are completely different processes and have very little in common with one another.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or if I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
First of all, what you are doing is not a citizenship application, but an application for legal permanent residency. Plus, it begins with a K-1 fiancee visa, which if granted will be good until 90 days pass by after arrival in the U.S., within which time you must get married. After that, your fiancee/spouse would sponsor you in an application for an adjustment of status through a K-3 marriage visa. The interview will be without any language test, and will involve separate interviews with you and your intended spouse. If you have other questions or need help, by all means e-mail or call to set up a telephone consultation through Skype. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Click to View More Answers: