Is an illegal immigrant able to fix his papers in the U.S after they have been here for 10 years? 3 Answers as of April 06, 2015

He has filed his taxes every year and has a clean record.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
No, there is no provision for simply legalizing status after a certain time period. There has to be specific eligibility for adjustment of status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/6/2015
Law Office of Christine Contreras | Christine Contreras
No, you have to have a way to file for residency, through a family relationship etc. The time you were in the US only helps when you are being deported and if you have US citizen spouse and children.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/1/2015
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
He can apply for cancellation of removal while he is in Removal Proceedings. That means he has to "offer" himself up for deportation and then throw the dice once he is before the Immigration Judge. The is no guaranty of success.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/1/2015
Click to View More Answers: