Instead of probation, is there any chance I could get community service? 17 Answers as of April 17, 2013

I am 18 years old and got arrested for petty theft. I took $35.00 of merchandise from a store. This is my first time stealing and my first on my record. I am still in school and moving in May.

Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
As the prosecutor if you can do diversion.
If you plead guilty to a petty theft you will get both probation and community service.
You will be required to do community service AND will be on probation for one year.
It is entirely up to the judge. One factor he/she will consider is whether or not you have any criminal history. If you do, for any like offenses, then highly unlikely.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
While it might be possible, it is more likely that if you are found in violation of probation the court will impose is jail some portion of the sentence that it had suspended previously. Ultimately, sentencing depends on whether you are found in violation, your prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
    Tell the Judge and probation of your relocation plans and ask if they will work with you under the circumstances.
    You can choose probation or jail, but the community service will be in addition to, not instead of.
    If you have not plead guilty already then DON'T. Get a lawyer. They may be able to work out something where you end up with no criminal record. This is huge. Criminal records are FOREVER. What employer wants to hire a thief.
    You really are confused. Probation is what comes after a conviction in court. Community sentence is a term of probation. Don't confuse apples with oranges. Now petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, so if convicted you can kiss your school and career aspirations for life. Hire a lawyer before you end up working at Burger King the rest of your life.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Yes: We can also get you first offender treatment if convicted so that you can avoid a records.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    This cannot be answered without more information. You need to retain counsel.
    Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
    Having to complete community service hours in Colorado is typically and term and condition of probation. If you are moving out of state, or going home for the summer arrangements may be made so that you can complete it or transfer probation entirely to another state. An attorney could assist you through this process.
    Hire an attorney an see if there is any way to keep it off you permanent record. It's your future.
    The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
    The Houser Law Firm, P.C. | A. Bowden Houser
    Generally speaking, community service is part of probation. However, instead of doing active jail time, it may be possible to be placed on probation, do some community service and pay restitution (if any). Also, each district has their own policies regarding how cases are handled. It may be possible to earn a dismissal if you comply with certain requirements and you may be eligible for deferred prosecution. Consult with a local criminal law attorney who can provide you with all your options.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Ask for diversion
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    There are a variety of sentence options that could happen on your case. There could be an "amendment" of your charge down to a lesser violation or a probationary sentence. You will not "just" be granted community service. Community Service is usually assessed as a "condition" of any probation.
    Law Office of Alexis Santoro, LLC
    Law Office of Alexis Santoro, LLC | Alexis Santoro
    Every case is different. You really should talk to a lawyer about your situation.