In Ohio, is a lawyer recommended if I was caught for shoplifting and charged? 2 Answers as of February 18, 2011

I was caught shoplifting last week, with the items totaling about $350. I was given a citation to appear in court. Should I hire an attorney to help me through this process?

Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
Under the U.S. Constitution, an indigent person has a right to an appointed attorney for all charges that carry the possibility of incarceration. That is because our country has concluded that in all offenses of significant seriousness, a person may not be able to adequately protect their rights without the services of an attorney. Accordingly, I without hesitation strongly recommend that anyone charged with such an offense (and shoplifting is one, most likely charged as "petty theft" which carries a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail) retain, or at least consult with, an attorney regarding their case.
Ron Graham Attorney at Law
Ron Graham Attorney at Law | Ron Graham
Thats up to you but it does not hurt to be represented when charged with a crime.