In my LLC Bankruptcy, will loan debts get paid before judgments? 9 Answers as of July 11, 2013

My LLC sells a product. If that product is involved in a mishap and we are subsequently sued and a judgment issued against us, will our lenders be paid first or will the assets be allocated to all claimants (lenders, suppliers, judgment-holders, etc)? Specifically, if I make a loan to my LLC (assume a properly documented loan made from personal funds), will I be able to recover that loan ahead of payments on a judgment that forces the LLC into bankruptcy?

Rosenberg & Press, LLC
Rosenberg & Press, LLC | Christopher D. Hite
Depends on so many factors. Are you filing a 7 or 11?
The order of priorities of payments in an asset LLC bankruptcy are paid according to the bankruptcy code. See an attorney for the specific order.
Colorado Legal Solutions
Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
If a loan is secured by property and the lien properly perfected, then that property cannot be used to pay other creditors until the lien holder is paid. However, if there is no security agreement or mortgage recorded, then your debt will be at the bottom of the list of priorities along with court judgments, credit cards, and other unsecured debts.
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
Let's be real here, no.
You will be the last person to get paid because you are an insider." In fact you might have to give payments back to the LLC. If the loan is "secured" by the assets of the LLC the trustee can set that aside as "preference" under certain circumstances. Assuming you get over those 2 hurdles, all unsecured creditors are paid pro rata, meaning they all get the same number of cents on the dollar. A judgement creditor might jump to the head of the line and be considered a "secured creditor" if they have an "abstract of judgement" and the LLC owns real property. Product liability insurance might be the way to go.
    Part of your post would likely be considered bankruptcy fraud (paying yourself ahead of a judgment creditor). It also would be unusual for an LLC to bother to file, instead of just closing. It sounds like you are trying to proceed pro se, and you cannot. Corporations are required by law to have a lawyer to file.
    Ray Fisher Law Offices
    Ray Fisher Law Offices | Ray Fisher
    You should be talking to your bankruptcy lawyer about this.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    No way you'll recover money first. And if the judgment was for gross neglect you may have problems.