In Illinois, should the driver who is at fault for an accident be held responsible for the medical bills? 5 Answers as of January 25, 2011

Can the "at fault" driver be held responsible for these bills? In July 2009, my wife and I were involved in an auto accident that was not our fault. The medical bills from injuries that were a result of the collision have amounted to around $1 million.

Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
To make the other driver pay you must get a judgment against him. If he has insurance they will pay up to the policy limit or the judgment amount, which ever is less. He will be liable for the balance of the judgment but ha will most likely file bankruptcy and discharge the debt.
Barry Rabovsky & Associates
Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. My office has handled many dog-attack cases. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.

Thank you for your email, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
Typically, the "at fault" driver would be liable for all damages arising from his negligent behavior, which may include reimbursement for medical bills from injuries. So, you may be entitled to a recovery, unless the jury finds that you were also negligent.

You should consult an attorney to review the facts of your case and to make a claim on your behalf, if appropriate. My firm has experience defending personal injury cases, and we would be glad to speak with you for a confidential and free initial consultation.
Willens Law Offices
Willens Law Offices | Matthew Willens
Technically, yes. However, sometimes these significant cases are limited by insurance, the amount of liability automobile insurance of the at fault driver and the amount of the underinsured insurance of the injured victims.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
Yes. The at-fault driver is responsible for "reasonable and necessary medical expenses", in addition to "pain and suffering" and "loss of normal life".