In Illinois, can I sue the person who hit my car if I need surgery to fix my injuries? 6 Answers as of January 05, 2011

On December 12, a man in his SUV struck me from behind. The impact from the crash injured my neck to the point that I will have to have surgery to repair it. My insurance is paying for my treatment right now. Do I have any rights to go after the guy that hit me?

Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
Yes, you can probably sue. You need to hire an attorney to go over the facts of the case and the law to help you determine if you can sue. My firm has experience in personal injury cases. You can contact me for a free consultation.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
Absolutely. You have a negligence claim against that individual, for which you can recover past and future medical expenses, past and future pain and suffering and past and future disability.
Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
You certainly can. I wlll be happy to represent you. Call me.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
Absolutely. Under Illinois law you are entitled to be compensated for all injuries caused by another party's negligence. This includes compensation for all care you receive plus pain and suffering , future medical and permanency of injury. Please e-mail or call us without obligation to discuss your matter.
Willens Law Offices
Willens Law Offices | Matthew Willens
Yes. I would highly suggest you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney right away. Remember: Your case is going on right now and evidence is being created right now. It is easier to avoid a mistake now than to fix a mistake later. When you do not have a lawyer representing you, you will be representing yourself. While you certainly have the right to do so, you also have the right to do your own surgery.