In a hit and run what will happen to me? 12 Answers as of April 26, 2011

I turned myself in after a few hours after a hit and run incident. What is the maximum sentence for this charge? I wasn't drinking and nobody was hurt. This is my first criminal charge. I don't even have speeding tickets.

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Normally the penalty will be a fine and pay the damages. However it does put 2 points on your driving record and it's a misdemeanor and needs to be disclosed on work applications. If you hire a good lawyer the charge is usually reduced and is no longer a misd. and is a one pointer. For more info or a fee quote, call.
Hit and run with property damage only is a misdemeanor carrying up to 6 months in jail though you will not likely receive any jail on such a first offense. The real problem is that it is a misdemeanor that would have to be reported on job applications etc.. Sometimes the victim is willing civilly compromise such cases with which the judge's approval would result in a dismissal. You will need an attorney to explore that and I suggest you retain one if you can or ask for a court appointed attorney if you qualify at your first court appearance.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
You likely will receive probation, a fine, and restitution for any damage you caused.
The answers to the questions are based upon the facts given. Wrong or incomplete facts may affect the vitality of the answer Under the facts you gave you may not be charged. If you are it will for a misdemeanor and the maximum would be one year in jail and or a $1,000.00 fine. With the right attorney and the right judge you are looking at three years summery probation and a dismissal at the end of probation.
That can depend on what you hit and the amount of damage. Call me so we can discuss your case in further detail, which would allow me to give you a analysis of what to expect. No charge for the call.
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
    It will depend on the courthouse Give us a call.
    California Criminal Defense Center
    California Criminal Defense Center | Ardalon Fakhimi
    A first time misdemeanor hit and run case in California carries a maximum 6 month jail sentence. Please be mindful that 6 months is the maximum and is not an indication of the sentence that you will actually received if you are convicted. An experienced criminal lawyer will very likely be able to resolve your case without any jail. Please contact our office or a highly qualified criminal defense lawyer to discuss the merits of your particular case. Often times, the case can be negotiated to a lesser charge and possibly even dismissed by way of a civil compromise.
    Highly doubtful you will get jail time. Most likely a fine and court probation (non-reporting probation). But if you violate probation they can then revoke your probation and give you time without even having to convict you of the new charge. Sucks, doesn't it.
    VC 20002(a) is a misdemeanor offense punishable by up to 6 months in county jail. Since you turned yourself in, an experienced attorney may be able to play that to your favor and work out some kind of disposition with the prosecution where the H&R could be dismissed/reduced.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    A misdemeanor hit and run under Vehicle Code Section 20002(a) is punishable by up to 6 months in county jail and/or a maximum $1000 fine. That being said, there are ways to avoid a conviction for this offense. The first thing that you should do is hire an experienced criminal defense attorney as this will maximize your chances of avoiding a conviction. The most common way to avoid a hit and run conviction is by way of a "civil compromise". Essentially, this is accomplished by compensating the "victim" in the case in exchange for their agreement to waive prosecution of the case. In any case, you really should contact a criminal attorney to represent you. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
    No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, facts, evidence, documents, reports, testimony, etc. However, effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about hiring counsel, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
    The maximum penalty depends on the amount of damage, whether it is a misdemeanor or felony. There is a good chance, especially with the help of a good attorney, that you will just be required to pay the restitution (pay for the repairs). Good luck.