In California, what rights do I have, as the injured driver, against the person who opened the door of the parked car? 14 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I was severely injured in the collision. The person in the parked door was negligent and caused a multi-car crash by swinging the door open right as I drove by. I hit several other cars because of it. Who is at fault if a vehicle collides with an opening door of a parked car?

Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
You would need to speak to a lawyer licensed to practice in California. It is likely that the person that opened the car door as you drove by is at fault.
You need to retain a good PI attorney to pursue your case.
Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
In this personal injury scenario, you need to consult with a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in California. Since you have serious injuries, do not delay as there are time limits for claims and liability may be disputed.
The question is always who or what caused an accident. If the open door was the sole cause then it would likely be a good case.
Dack Marasigan, LLP
Dack Marasigan, LLP | Martin E. Dack, Esq
Its better to contact Insurance attorney as the know each tweets in the case.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    It sounds like liability rests with the person who opened the door into moving traffic, however, more information is needed. Was a police report issued? Were there any witnesses? If you would like to speak for about this incident, please let me know.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    You can sue the driver of the parked car for negligence and seek to insulate you from the damages sought by other drivers.
    Probably, the one who caused the door of the parked car to open and to remain so until the collision occurred which you've described. However, it's possible that if California is a so-called comparative fault state, some of the negligence might be assigned to you which would likely reduce any award for damages that you might receive from this incident.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.

Thank you for your email, and we look forward to hearing from you.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    I have no idea. You need to hire a personal injury attorney in California. I am an attorney in Florida and ever state has different law
    El Dabe Law Firm
    El Dabe Law Firm | Edmond El Dabe
    The person who opened the door into moving traffic is 100% responsible. Contact me if you have any questions.
    This is probably an issue for a jury to resolve, but I would take your case. You should be able to find an attorney in California to take your case.