In California, I have the right to know the insurance policy information of a person if I am in a personal injury lawsuit with them, right? 6 Answers as of January 03, 2011

If I asked the insurance adjuster what the amount of the personal injury was for the person who caused my accident because of my ongoing lawsuit with them, I am allowed to get that information, right?

Tomalas Law Firm
Tomalas Law Firm | Ryan Tomalas
If you have actually filed a lawsuit (Summons and Complaint filed with the court and served upon the other party), as opposed to simply pursuing a liability claim with the at-fault driver's insurance company, then the liability policy limits are discoverable through the formal Discovery process and must be disclosed if properly asked for. On the other hand, if you have not yet filed a lawsuit then the adverse insurance company actually can not disclose their insured's policy limits to you without written authorization from their insured to do so.
It does not hurt to ask, but the insurance company does not have to reveal the policy limits until the lawsuit is filed.
Dack Marasigan, LLP
Dack Marasigan, LLP | Martin E. Dack, Esq
You have the right to know a person's insurance policy information if you are in a personal injury lawsuit with that person.