I’m on probation for a DUI I don’t have to report to a PO can I travel outside the US? 13 Answers as of April 15, 2013

Just want to travel for 3 days to Mexico but unsure if, I will have any problems or if I need permission from the court or anybody.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
If you are on court or informal probation you are likely fine to leave the country. You should contact your attorney and confirm but usually the court only wants to know if you move, you aren't moving to Mexico.presumably.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/15/2013
Mark A. Manning, PC. | Mark A. Manning
If you are still under probation, you must comply with all the terms of your probation. Reporting to a probation officer may be satisfied, but the other conditions of probation would continue. Read your conditions of probation very carefully. Standard provisions usually are you do not go into a bar or tavern or places that serve alcohol, leave the State (which would include a trip to Mexico). The good news is I have found most probation offices are pretty good to work with regarding out of State travel, particularly for lower level crimes. Contact your probation officer, explain the trip to them and if you conditions of probation need to be amended to allow your trip ask that they please do so in writing and send a confirmation that the Court will amend the condition.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/9/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
If you are on informal or summary probation, you can travel anywhere you want to.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/9/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
IF you are on non-reporting probation you can travel outside of the US. When you return there may be drama, IF the probation appears IF customs agent is not familiar with the law.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/9/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
Although you are planning on being there for such a short time, I would still suggest that you file a motion asking the court to grant its permission to travel for those three days out of the country. I am quite certain you will be granted leave to go, and you will have peace of mind knowing the court authorized it. See the Clerk of Court's office to file your motion.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/9/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I would cover this by notifying the probation officer well prior to your planned departure. Better be safe than sorry.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Unless part of your probation is to ask to leave the country you can do so long as you don't have an outstanding warrant.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Beaulier Law Office
    Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
    If no probationary condition was imposed regarding travel out of the country, there is nothing to preclude it. However, some countries do not allow entry to persons convicted of a DWI. One such country is Canada.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Midway Law
    Midway Law | Joseph I. Silverzweig
    I suppose it's possible that you could be on a probation that allows you to leave the country, but it seems very unlikely to me. I would ask your local office of probation and parole.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Timothy Helmberger
    Timothy Helmberger | Timothy Helmberger
    To answer your question I must assume that you signed your "rules of probation" at some point early on in your probation. If you signed a typical rule of probation agreement then there is very likely to be a rule that prohibits you from traveling outside of the State of Wisconsin without receiving permission from your Agent. Even though you may not have to report as part of your probation, you still have an agent, or office that is responsible for supervising you. If you leave WI and they find out, you could be subject to revocation or sanctions, including jail. You really need to check your rules of probation, and follow them. Three days of fun in Mexico might not be worth the risk of several months in jail in Wisconsin.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Frank A. Fleischmann, P.C. | Frank A. Fleischmann
    Probably not. It would be best to check with the Court and the terms of your probation.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/9/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!