I'm 18 years old, charged with theft, what will happen to me? 5 Answers as of August 22, 2013

I stole around $3 worth of stuff at a local discount store. I didn't have a lot of extra cash, so I put Q-tips and two $1 packs of batteries in my purse. When they asked me what I did with them, after I made other minor purchases, I gave it back and they call officers. They returned to stuff and booked me. It's my first offense, will I go to jail for this? What will happen?

The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Retain a lawyer like myself to get an ACD dismissal so you do not get a criminal record. Jail is not the problem, ruining your career is the problem. Go to my website and read the blogs on shoplifting.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
In Massachusetts the maximum penalty for a 1st offense Shoplifting charge is a fine not to exceed $250. The more significant issue is that if convicted, it will appear on your permanent record. You should hire an attorney to accompany you to the Clerk's Hearing or arraignment to minimize the effect that this charge has on your future.
Law Office of Paul Carmouche | Paul J Carmouche
With a minor charge like yours, you will probably get diversion. This means a fine plus cost of the diversion office and case deferred for a few months, after which the charge is dismissed. You may be required to go to some form of counseling concerning theft and why you should not do it.
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
Not likely. The value of property was minuscule, and you have no record. It is likely you will receive an ACD. An ACD is an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal. This means that your case will be marked off calendar for the next 6 months. If you stay out of trouble your case will be automatically dismissed and sealed after the 6 months has elapsed.
You will not go to jail. In Washington, you have committed a gross misdemeanor with a sentencing range of 364 days in jail and $5,000 fine. You likely will be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations and be on probation for one year. You will also have to pay a civil fine to the store.