I'll be a citizen soon and want to marry my boyfriend who has a valid F1, what should we do? 4 Answers as of October 09, 2012

I am becoming a US citizen in 3 months and would like to marry my 2-year boyfriend afterwards. He has a valid F1 which is expiring in 6 months. However, he is also applying for a green card thru his parents who are both green card holders. I am planning to pursue a M.A in the states and don't want to separate from him since he might have to go back to HongKong after his F1 expires. We are in a serious and committed relationship and both of our parents know we will be getting married. (I am 24, he is 25). What is the best thing for us to do? Will his green card application thru his parents affect his green card application thru me?

Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC
Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC | Brian David Lerner
*Request for Marriage and Adjustment of Status Application* A marriage proposal and application for adjustment of status must be prepared and presented. Our firm can prepare and send this petition to the USCIS office that initially resolved such requests .. The work permit application is also presented and it usually takes several months to get cast. The last interview for the Green Card will be around one year after the filing of the petition. There are a myriad of different ways, exhibitions and information that needs to be completed. Any of these items, if done poorly, it could request denied or delayed indefinitely.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
His parents green card application will not affect an application through your marriage. It will be much faster for him to apply through you.
I suggest that you see a local attorney to help you. One may have more than one petition. Obviously yours will be considered immediate relative and will be available to him without waiting if you become a USC.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
Get married after you become a US citizen and file for his green card. The parent case could take several years. Green cards through marriages to US citizens only takes about 3 months.