What will happen to my husband if he gets pulled over with a suspended license? 6 Answers as of February 20, 2012

My husband has a suspended Illinois, but works in Indiana right across the border. I don't like him driving but he does anyways. I'm worried if he gets pulled over what could happen. Can you advise me?

It depends on two things, which you fail to mention in your question: he first is WHY is he suspended? If it is for a DUI or hit and run accident, he is facing mandatory 10 days in jail or 240 hours of community service, if for some minor reason, he would probably get some type of probationary sentence, which leads me to the second issue: WHAt kind of driving record does he have? Has he been arrested before for this offense? This is like a cancer, the more time you get caught, the harsher the sentencing. If he persists in driving, there is a good chance he will get sent to jail, no matter what is the reason for the suspension/revocation. I would advise him to go to the Secretary of State office and find out what he must do to reinstate his driving privileges.
Brucar & Yetter, P.C.
Brucar & Yetter, P.C. | Wayne Brucar
Depending on the nature of the suspension and his previous driving history he could be looking at anything from court supervision to 364 days in county jail if it was charged as a misdemeanor. If it was charged as a felony, he would be looking at mandatory jail sentences of up to 7 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections. Please understand that answering this doesn't create an attorney/client relationship between us, and as hard as I try to answer your question well, it isn't legal advice. No matter how much information you put into a question, the answers you are going to get are still going to be vague. It is in your interest to contact a lawyer, most of whom will do a free consultation. Even 15 minutes with a lawyer is going to produce a more specific answer to your problem.
Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
This response should not be interpreted as "advice". The responder has not accepted responsibility to be your representative. Some hopefully helpful comments are made purely in the interest of utilizing LawQA. If your husband's license is suspended, then he can be arrested in Illinois or in Indiana. ANY traffic violation could lead to an arrest, because the officer would investigate your husband's drivers license status via computer. Your husband may consider contacting the Secretary of State and finding out what to do to restore driving privileges.
Law Offices of Mitch Furman | Mitch Furman
If your husband's license suspended for a DUI, and he gets pulled over. He can go to jail.
The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
You might lose the car to forfeiture, and he might go to jail.
    Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
    If your husband is driving while suspended and the basis for the suspension is DUI or summary suspension - he is facing a minimum of at least 10 days in jail or 30 days of community service. If he has prior suspended license cases he may face prison time. He should stop driving and have a hearing with the Secretary of State.