If you went to jail but the charges were dropped, can I become a police officer? 18 Answers as of February 24, 2013

So I'm asking if I was tooling to jail and went to court but they said the case is dismissed meaning (dropped) would it still be on my record? I want to become a police officer but online it says can't be convicted of a crime. So would me getting arrested and going to court affect me getting the okay to become a police officer? I hope not because I really would like to become a police officer.

Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
If you don't have any convictions, it should not preclude you from becoming a police officer.
Law Office of Edmund P. Allen Jr. | Edmund P. Allen Jr.
All police departments have different screening/eligibility requirements. If the case was dropped, then you were not convicted and it should not be an obstacle.
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
Dear Sir/Madam - It shouldn't be a problem if you were not convicted.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
If the case was dismissed and sealed you can apply to become a police officer. You should improve your vocabulary, reading skills, and learn about law enforcement so that you will pass the tests and do well in the application process.
I would need further information to answer better. When you say you went to jail was that after a conviction and you were sentenced to jail or were you held in jail pending the outcome of the case and then the charges were dropped without you getting convicted? You should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
    It is convictions that count, not arrests.
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    If the charges were dropped than you should still be eligible to become a police officer.
    If the charges were dropped, then you were not convicted of a crime. Therefore your arrest should not prevent you from becoming a police officer.
    Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis | Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq.,
    If it was dismissed then you have no criminal record. You may want to expunge the arrest though just to clearnet Your record.
    Law Office of Nixon Ayemi | Nixon Ayeni
    It depends on the department internal hiring practice, however get a lawyer to see if expunging your file might be helpful
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    That alone won't automatically disqualify you from becoming a cop, but you should disclose it during the interview process. Failing to disclose an arrest definitely WILL prevent you from becoming a cop.
    If the case was dismissed outright, and you were not convicted of any crime, you should go to the Clerk of Court in the county where the case was held and file a Petition to Expunge your record. You have an arrest record, but no conviction, so expunge the arrest from your record and good luck becoming a cop.
    Charges are not the same as convictions. Since the case was dismissed, it is not a conviction and should not effect you.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You would not have the "conviction" that appears to be an automatic bar. There may be police reports and booking records that could haunt your future. You may well be entitled to have those records sealed. It depends upon how your case was disposed of.
    It will be on your record.
    It may depend upon what the case was all about. Being a police officer is highly competitive and just about anything might be considered in the porocess.
    Maryam Jahedi Law Firm
    Maryam Jahedi Law Firm | Maryam Jahedi
    If the charges were dropped that means the charges were dismissed in your favor. In which case there is no conviction. Charges that are dismissed should be sealed. So if the online application asks if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you could say No.