If you live out of state, do you have to appear for a child support hearing? 3 Answers as of November 08, 2011

I live in Washington and am going to have to pay child support for my son who chose to stay in Iowa with his father when we moved out here this summer. They told the court my Iowa address when they knew I lived out in Washington. Do I need to go back to appear, or can a lawyer out here represent me and send paperwork needed?

Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat
Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat | Steven A. Hemmat
You should contact an experienced attorney in Iowa to represent your interests. Only such an attorney can explain whether you have to physically appear at a child support hearing.
Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
If the support proceeding is in the Iowa court, you should retain an attorney in Iowa to represent you there. In that event, your personal appearance in Iowa should not be necessary. A Washington attorney who is not licensed to practice in Iowa can be of only limited assistance, and in any event cannot represent you in that state.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
It seems to me that it would depend on Iowa law, about which I know nothing, since I practice in Washington. However, in terms of generic advice: Never, ever neglect a court hearing. If you do, you may be waiving any right you might have to object to what the court does. At very least, contact an Iowa attorney and have a consult with that person.