If you get married after you are deported can you legally re enter the US? 5 Answers as of July 24, 2011

My boyfriend was recently deported back to Mexico. If we get married in Mexico, would he be able to come back to the United States without any problems? How long would it take before he could obtain a green card and come to the United States legally?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
if he was deported then even after marriage he will need a waiver which does not guarantee he will automatically be able to re-enter the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/24/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
It depends if he was a permanent resident or not, if he was deported because of a crime, etc. You should consult with an immigration attorney
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/22/2011
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law | Kevin Bluitt
Generally, after deportation you must wait 10 years before you can reenter the US, however, it depends on why he was deported. However, you could ask that the 10 years be shortened by applying for a wavier....please consult an attorney...this is very tricky and a mistake could cost you dearly.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/21/2011
The Law Offices Jonathan D Montag
The Law Offices Jonathan D Montag | Jonathan D Montag
I can respond to your question in general terms. Do not construe this response as legal advice as I would have to meet with you and learn a lot more facts about your case to see if the general principles in my answer apply to your specific case or if facts in your case make the general principle inapplicable. Generally speaking: Being deported creates a ground of inadmissibility at 212a9A lasting for 5 or 10 years. There is a waiver for this bar. Some reasons for being deported create permanent bars to returning. To be able to return, a person needs to have a way to get a visa (someone who can petition for him or her) and could be subject to grounds of inadmissibility under INA 212. Some crimes pose bars as do some types of conduct. It could be that for the same reason a person was deported, he or she can never come back. Some are waivable and some are not.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes he can come back assuming that he has done nothing that would make it impossible to do so. I am referring to the reason why he was deported. If it is just an immigration violation, then the rule is that he will have to wait at least 10 years before re-applying for admission with an I-212 Waiver. In some cases, that 10 year barcan be broken although it has become more and more difficult and USCIS has been interpreting the regulations very strictly. You will have to start with a standalone I-130 and go from there. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: