If you are court ordered to pay $500 a month but can only produce $300 a month, what are the legal ramifications of this action? 10 Answers as of February 28, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
You need to consult with local counsel to discuss this matter. A child support order is in place until either modified or terminated. What you need to do is file a petition to modify the support, based upon substantial and changing circumstances. Again, consult with an experienced Arizona family law attorney to discuss the basis for a modification.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 2/28/2014
Atticus Family Law
Atticus Family Law | Matthew Ludt
The county and/or the court can suspend your driver's license, freeze your passport, hold you in contempt, issue you a warrant for your arrest and/or have you serve jail time. Partial payments of support, while a good effort, will not necessarily save you from a support enforcement action by the other parent or the county.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 2/28/2014
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
The other party can bring you to court for contempt and it is either arrange to pay or go to jail.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/28/2014
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
You will be $200.00 in arrears each and every month, plus interest and penalties. If there is a reason you cannot pay the amount ordered and that reason has occurred since the entry of the order setting the $500.00 amount, you should file an application to reduce your obligation.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/28/2014
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
If you fail to comply with a court order, you can be held in contempt. The court would have to find that you willfully failed to comply with the order. My suggestion would be to investigate whether you should modify the support order and if you have the grounds to do so. The burden to modify the order is on you.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 2/28/2014
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    You will have an arrearage of $200 each month which you will have to pay with interest.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 2/28/2014
    The Law Office of James P Peterson
    The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
    You should pay as much as you can. If child support is set too high then go back to court and have it lowered. Until you lower it you will owe the full amount. If you do not pay the full amount an enforcement action may be taken against you to charge you attorney fees and costs and put you in jail until the money is paid.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 2/28/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You will be accruing an arrears. If you have had a change in circumstances, you can ask the court to modify your child support. If not, then you need to cut down somewhere else.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 2/28/2014
    Peggy M. Raddatz
    Peggy M. Raddatz | Peggy M. Raddatz
    For what? If it is child support you still owe it and will have to pay interest on the arreages, you could also be held in contempt of court. In Illinois you could lose your drivers license and be out in jail for contempt. You need to go back to court and see if you can get it lowered or get a second job. Seek the counsel of a lawyer in person.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/28/2014
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    The best remedy is to return to court and ask for the court to download modify your support obligation if your income does not substantiate the last court order on support.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/28/2014
Click to View More Answers: