If we live in one state and have a property in another, where should I hire an attorney to transfer the title so I can sell it? 7 Answers as of May 19, 2014

My mom died in 13 years ago. She owned property in another state. Recently, I had an offer to buy the property. Where do I hire an attorney to transfer the title? I am the only person listed on the will. The realtor and his attorney told me I had to hire a lawyer here but the attorney I called told me I had to hire a lawyer where the property is. Please advise.

Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
You will need to go through probate where the property is located to transfer title. Depending on the value of the property there may be an expedited procedure for small estates. You might try calling the court or see if there is a local legal help service to find out, otherwise you will probably need to use a local attorney.
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
Start by talking to a lawyer in the state where the property is. Unfortunately, in some cases, it's necessary to file for probate in both states. But you will at least need to take action in the state where the property is.
The venue for a probate proceeding is the residence at time of death. If the real property is in another state, it will be necessary to open an ancillary probate in that state, as well.
Where did the death occur? That would be the location for the probate of estate. The probate attorney then would obtain an attorney in the state where the real property is located to open an ancillary probate in that state to obtain an order into your name to sell the property, and close out the probate in that state; the money would be transferred to the probate in the state of deceased's residence to probate the balance of the estate; if there was no estate in the state of death, than you would open a probate only in the estate where the property is located to obtain the order to sell the property.
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
Based on the total value of your mother's estate, you will need to hire an attorney in the county where your mother resided. In California, if the total value of the estate (both real and personal property), probate proceedings will need to be initiated in the county of her residence. If the total value is less than $150,000.00, another procedure is used to transfer title into the names of all heirs. You should contact a probate attorney to assist you.