If we have been separated for 30 years, no children together, will there be problems after I file for a divorce? 8 Answers as of November 09, 2017

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
As long as your spouse can be personally served, you want to be divorced, you will be divorced. If you seek nothing from him/her, even fewer possible problems. The only issue might be his/her requests against you, but if separated for 30 years and no children, the likelihood of having to divide assets acquired during the separation is minimal, but there might be a fight to convince him/her of that.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/9/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Not if you both do it right.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 10/24/2017
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
That depends on whether the other party disputes property issues, if any. There's no problem getting the divorce.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/14/2017
Kiske Law Office, LLC | Anne Kiske
Missouri is a no-fault divorce state, which means if one party testifies that the marriage is irretrievably broken? and there is no likelihood the relationship can be saved, the spouses will get their dissolution and the marriage will be legally over. There is no need for one spouse to blame the other or tell the court what caused the marriage to end. Generally, the answer to your question will depend on a variety of factors such as children born outside of the marriage, property, accounts, etc. In order to begin the process a petition must be filed.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 10/15/2017
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
File for a dissolution; Term of the marriage will be the day you got married thru the day you seperated
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/15/2017
    GordenLaw, LLC
    GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
    It depends on what you mean by problems. Do you know where your spouse is? If not, you may have to first attempt service at last know address and if that can?t be discovered you may have to serve by publication. If you own property, it may be more difficult. You should at least visit with a divorce attorney about your options before filing, even if you may be able to handle it yourself using the pro se forms.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 10/15/2017
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Have you been providing support? Really should be easy either way.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 10/15/2017
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
    There would not be any problems due to the length of the separation. As long as you can find and serve your spouse, you can do the divorce.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/15/2017
Click to View More Answers: