If we get married, will I be able to return to the US after the wedding? 1 Answers as of July 17, 2017

I have been studying in Masters program under a Graduate Assistant position that just got cut, so at the end of this semester, my F-1 Visa will become void and I'll enter the 60 day grace period. I plan on marrying my fiancé before I return home for a wedding in the middle of May. I don't want there to be problems with me getting back into the country but I know it's a long process to get a green card.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC
Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC | Lana Kurilova Rich
If you get married here, you should not leave the U.S. until you get your green card (unless it's an emergency, and a wedding or a prepaid vacation or something are not considered emergencies). Otherwise, if you leave, you will have to stay outside the U.S. until your immigration process is complete and you get your immigrant visa to return to the U.S. (which could take a year, give or take).
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/17/2017
Click to View More Answers: