If we divorce now, can I still get my green card? How? 5 Answers as of May 28, 2015

I am from Europe and I married a citizen of the USA, and I am still waiting for my green card, we got married five months ago, soon after we got married I discovered that he is addicted to alcohol and drugs and has a criminal past. I tried to help him, but without any results, as soon he have money he spends it on alcohol or drugs. I cannot stop him and he does not want to go to the treatment. If we divorce now, what is going happen to me? Can I still get my green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Talk to an immigration attorney. It is unlikely.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/28/2015
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
I don't know the answer to that but, from my very limited exposure to immigration law, I think you can do so. You might qualify for an annulment, too.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/28/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Consult an immigration lawyer. A general site like this usually cannot answer question which require a specialist's training. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/28/2015
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Obviously its best to wait.. In some cases such as for victims of domestic violence the US immigration service has exceptions and will grant a hardship Please contact an immigration attorney before you file to investigate thoroughly.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/28/2015
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
If you divorce before then, there will be no marriage to support an approval. If it is dangerous to wait, you may want to consider a separate petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/28/2015
Click to View More Answers: