if we divorce now, can I still get my green card? 3 Answers as of November 09, 2010

I am from Europe and I married a citizen of the USA, and I am still waiting for my green card, we got married five months ago, soon after we got married I discovered that he is addicted to alcohol and drugs and has a criminal past. I tried to help him, but without any results, as soon he have money he spends it on alcohol or drugs. I cannot stop him and he does not want to go to the treatment. If we divorce now, what is going happen to me? Can I still get my green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I understand your concern and am sorry for your predicament. The fact that you are waiting for your green card indicates to me that your husband has already filed the petition for alien relative (I-130 form), and that the CIS has approved the petition, and since then you have filed the application for adjustment of status. If that is the case, then your husband is still responsible for your status as your sponsor, and your application is still good until your divorce is final, but if the initial grant of conditional legal residency, if done first, will be valid, and you can obtain the removal of conditions when you apply for their removal within 90 days of the two-year conditional residency period. For more, e-mail or call to set up a consultation, done either in person or by phone, depending on convenience. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/9/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You can apply for a green card only if you are a victim of domestic violence or abuse from your marriage. You may contact my office if you believe that you have a case of domestic abuse.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/3/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
If you still have not had your interview for the green card and you are already in the process of the divorce, you are most likely not going to get your green card.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/3/2010
Click to View More Answers: