If three people own a house, can two of them decide to rent it even if one of the three doesn't want to? 6 Answers as of April 09, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Generally, all co-owners of a property must agree on how it is to be used unless they have a written agreement that allows for action regarding the property to be taken with less than unanimous consent.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/9/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
I would need more information. Depends on the situation.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/8/2014
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
Any of the co-owners of the home can rent it to a third-party or Live in it. If there is a disagreement, one of the co-owners needs to file a partition action to liquidate the co-ownership interests. Each co-owner is entitled to their share of any rent paid from a third-party.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/7/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
More than likely. The person who only has a third can either go to court and ask for an apportionment or the other two can buy that person out. However, even though the third owner doesn't want to rent the place out, he or she is entitled to one-third of the net rent.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/7/2014
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
It depends upon the ownership. If you are all shareholders of a corporation that owns it, and the governance documents allow it, possibly yes. If you all own it separately, probably not. This would apply as well if you wanted to sell. You would need all signatures to sell.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/7/2014
    Arthur D. Parise Attorney at Law | Arthur D. Parise
    No. If the third feels strongly enough that party can file what is known as a suit to partition real estate, which asks the Court to sell the real estate and divide the proceeds according to title ( in this case 3 ways).
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 4/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: