If there is a demand letter for $75,000, what is the value of the case in a civil rights matter for pain and suffering? 14 Answers as of June 16, 2014

Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
There is no way to respond to this. You have provided no facts about your case or injury.
Almost every day we get a request for evaluation of a claim. We cannot respond to such a request, as there are simply too many elements to be considered. These include percentage of fault, age and health and background of the claimant, the nature of the injury, the treatment, the diagnosis, the prognosis, the cost of the treatment, and the outcome. Also to be taken into account in some cases are the amount and type of insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. Most attorneys offer a free conference. We suggest that you talk to a few lawyers. Also, you should know that an independent study showed that claimants did better, even after fees, with a lawyer than without.
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
This is impossible to answer without a lot more facts.
Sure there is a letter. Your lawyer should know how to write one, and what material should accompany it. You certainly aren't capable of doing it yourself. You don't get a law degree and experience from a Cracker Jack box.
The demand was for $75,000 which already factored in the pain and suffering.
    Demand letters mean nothing by way of value. They are merely wishes for pie in the sky. There is no set value for pain and suffering in the law. The value of pain and suffering varies significantly from case to case and place to place. Experienced personal injury lawyers are familiar with such values. It sounds like you have a lawyer. Consult with your lawyer about the value.
    A demand letter often has very little to do with the value of the case. An attorney needs to know all the facts of the case and the injuries to be able to even guess at the value of the case.
    Domnitz & Skemp, SC
    Domnitz & Skemp, SC | Merrick Domnitz
    I am sorry, but your question cannot responsibly be answered based upon the limited information provided. The value of any component of any case (e.g., pain and suffering in your question) cannot be ascertained, or even reasonably estimated, without knowing the details of the damage case.
    I don't really care what the demand letter says, it's probably grossly inflated. I cannot answer your query because I don't handle that type of law and you haven't given me any facts regarding your case other than the demand letter.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc. | John Benson
    No 2 cases are ever the same. The value of the case will be driven by the type and severity of an injury and the facts. You will have to provide more information if you want a better value placed on the case.
    Pain and suffering is a measure of damages in injury cases not civil rights cases. Want to give me more information about what you are talking about?
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    I have absolutely no way to answer your question because there is a lack of information a lawyer would require to answer it.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    There is no telling. First of all, in order to evaluate any case, I'd need a complete file and several hours to analyze it. Otherwise, the opinion is not valid. It's like asking "My car doesn't work, how much will it cost to fix it?" That's fine when you bring the car to a mechanic and give him the time to look it over, but if you write one sentence on the 'net, there is simply not enough information to give a meaningful answer. As to demand letters, some lawyers will start with an outrageously high demand so as to make the defendant work harder to rach the settlement. Others will give a realistic figure and stick to it. Since I don't know anything about your case and I haven't seen the letter, I have no idea which approach is being used.
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC | Linda Chalat
    The value of a personal injury claim is based upon the damages, a collective term for all the harm suffered by the plaintiff. So each case has a value range which reflects the physical injury suffered, any permanent impairment or disability, medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering. For a more detailed explanation, visit What is My Case Worth?