If TBI approved my diversion does that mean the judge will too? 9 Answers as of October 23, 2012

I am being charged with a felony theft of property 1,000 to 10,000. This is my very first offense I know what I did was wrong but I am willing to own up to it but I was told that I have been approved by TBI for a diversion so what are my chances of the judge granting it? The dollar amount was 1900 from Wal-Mart as an employee so what are the goods and bad of my case my court date is 3 days away and we going for a diversion.

Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
I am not sure what exactly TBI is. That is not a phrase that I am familiar with in the State of Hawaii. Generally, when the court has some other agency prepare a recommendation, they follow it. So if TBI is the entity that was asked for input on this issue, you have a good chance of having your diversion approved. I suggest that if you are in a State other than Hawaii, you have a local attorney answer this question as they probably have more knowledge on this issue.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Chances are good the judge will follow the recommendation. You may have a condition to stay from that store. If no priors, chances are much improved. Good luck.
If you had a clean background, which TBI must have checked, the chances are excellent the court will go along with the diversion, however, expect to be ordered to repay the money you stole from Wal-mart.
Burton Guidry
Burton Guidry | Burton P. Guidry
In Louisiana the District Attorney has the full authority to place you in pre trial diversion before the judge ever gets the case. The simple answer is No. The judge cannot override the authority of the District Attorney in Louisiana to place anyone in a diversion program. Sounds like a good deal and you should take it, especially if you can make restitution. Otherwise GET A LAWYER.
How can anyone know the goods and bad of your case when you have included absolutely no facts Second, why would you care about the goods and bad when you are accepting responsibility The judge may or may not approve of diversion. IF he does not approve then you will have to pursue another course. The judge may not like the fact that it is an employee theft. Good luck.