If a store decides to drop my theft charges will this still show up on my record? How? 4 Answers as of June 30, 2015

I was charged with theft (shoplifting at a store) in August, 2014. In December 2014, I wrote the store's C.E.O, asking that they please drop all charges. They agreed to this request. My question is, how likely is that the district attorney's office will be willing to drop the charges without having to pay a fine. This is my first offense, and currently I am unemployed. On the table right now is they have agreed to dismiss charges, however I'd have to pay a fine of $620, but I do not have the money. Also, I'm looking for a job, therefore, I need to know if charges are dismissed, will this be on my record? If so, how long? And can it be expunged from my record?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Were you arrested? Were you fingerprinted? IF you were arrested and fingerprinted, then you have a criminal record which includes a shoplifting offense right now. The store dropping the charges does not mean anything, if the prosecutor decides to prosecute you. Because you have no money to pay the restitution to the store, they will probably decide to prosecute you. IF you are convicted, there is no expungement. Here is the reality, you want something for nothing. You want charges dropped, without paying any more to the store. Then you want your record expunged. Good luck with all of that.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/30/2015
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Don't confuse the civil case between you and the store with the criminal case in court between you and the state. Signing the papers was foolish enough, and paying the $620 will make you look even more guilty. You need to hire a lawyer ASAP before you make it worse for yourself by making a wrong move.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/29/2015
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
There are two legal actions going on here; one is civil and the other is criminal. The amount that the store is asking you to pay is a civil penalty, which, by law, they can request. This penalty is based upon the amount you stole or attempted to steal. This is independent of the criminal charge. The store has absolutely no say as to whether your case is going to be dismissed. Only the prosecutor can determine that. It sounds to me that maybe the store is willing to enter into a "Compromise of Misdemeanor". If this is accepted by the court, then it would result in the case being dismissed, provided payment is made by you, but it sounds like you don't have the money to pay this. You may want to retain an attorney in your area to help you with this. It is well worth it if the matter can be kept off your record.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/29/2015
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
If the charges are dismissed. You may file a petition to seal the record.. but it can take up to 6 months.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/29/2015
Click to View More Answers: