If someone said I stole something from them but they have no proof, will I get in trouble? 10 Answers as of July 14, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
They have to have more than just a feeling. Something like someone seeing you steal or possess the item.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/14/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Yes. If the police believe them.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/14/2013
The Law Office of Harry S. Steinmetz
The Law Office of Harry S. Steinmetz | Harry Steinmetz
If someone says you did something, that is evidence. The real question is how good is the evidence and can it be corroborated. You need to talk to a lawyer and allow him or her to flesh out the facts that you know to get a clearer answer.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/14/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
If the police are given enough evidence to establish probable cause that you committed a crime, they may file charges. Just be aware that the prosecutor handling the case must have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the crime, to ever hope of getting a conviction.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/14/2013
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
Something you left out of your statement to me. You don't deny that you stole the item at issue.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/14/2013
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You can, especially if you forget you have the right to remain silent and cop yourself out before hiring a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/14/2013
    Bush Law Group
    Bush Law Group | James Falk
    The state can get a conviction based upon the testimony of one witness. There is no requirement that they have additional proof. It would be up to the jury to decide.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 7/14/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    The person can report the alleged theft to the authorities. The authorities will conduct some form of investigation and decide whether there is "probable cause" to believe you committed a crime. If so, you will likely be charged with the offense. You have the right to defend against that charge and cannot be found guilty unless guilt is proven "beyond a reasonable doubt".
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 7/12/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes, if there is circumstantial proof
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 7/12/2013
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    It's possible. If the police believe them, the police could get a search warrant and possible even arrest you. If that happens, don't talk to the police and hire a lawyer immediately.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 7/12/2013
Click to View More Answers: