If someone drove your car while the owner of the car is in the passenger seat and the car hydro planed into a pole does insurance cover it? 14 Answers as of February 10, 2014

If someone drove your car while the owner of the car is in the passenger seat and the car hydro planed into a pole does insurance cover it or how does that work? I know it would go under my policy because I gave the person the right to drive my car, but what if that person got a DUI how does insurance work with a scenario like that?

If you are asking if your auto insurance would cover the claim if you were a passenger in your own car and someone was driving it with your permission, then the answer is yes.
Yes, if you have the right coverage.
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Without knowing whether DUI in this incident, insurance should cover it under Collision Coverage as they were permissive user.
Law Office of John B. Pike | John B. Pike
Yes. Insurance follows the car not the person in Pennsylvania.
Check with your insurance company. Most policies go with the car so if you gave permission for the other person to drive there is coverage, whether or not there was a DUI. But you should never allow someone who has been drinking that much to drive your car, even if you are more drunk than they are.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    The primary insurance would be the person driving the vehicle, your insurance would be secondary.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Normally, if you give someone permission to use your vehicle, your insurance will have to cover the accident. However, in some states if you are in your car and you know that your driver has been drinking and you also have been drinking, you may not be covered. Depends upon what state you were in when the accident happened.
    The insurance company should cover the collision damage as long as the driver was driving with your permission. Good luck.
    Better read your policy. All policies are not the same.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    Your claim is a no-brainer because you were a passenger and the driver was a permissive driver. There are possible defenses but they are not likely to be raised unless you had a substandard carrier. So, for your injuries, you simply file a claim against your own policy. You should hire a personal injury attorney if you were injured. Your driver can access the med pay if he was injured. You will have to pay for the damage to the pole before funds are available to repair the car.
    You let a drunk drive your car? really? If you have collision coverage you are OK. If you have only liability your company will pay for the pole damagetalk to your agent if you are confused about coverage
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    The answer to that question is almost always yes.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    Very complicated scenario . Did you know that the person driving your car was drunk? If so, you may be out of luck. You will still have claim against the driver and check if he had own insurance. If he is a deadbeat then you know the answer.
    Generally, it would be covered. I would have to see the policy to see if there are any restrictions or exclusions, there may well be an issue if you allowed a person to drive while intoxicated.