If someone doesn't pay for storing their stuff in my property longer than the time agreed, will the stuff be considered mine? 4 Answers as of February 14, 2013

A little over a year ago, my boyfriend has emptied his storage unit and asked if he could store stuff in my garage for a 2-3 months. I said ok but his stuff is still in my garage and some of it has been stolen. He does not pay me anything for storing his stuff. I live in New Mexico. Under the law since it has been so long in my procession, is his stuff considered mine?

Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
If he has not contacted you regarding his stuff, has not been in the garage where the stuff is, then he has abandoned it. Considering the length of time, it generally is yours to do whatever you want. I am sure it is in your way, and you made good faith effort to protect it, and contact him.
Rizio & Nelson
Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
This forum is for criminal defense questions in CA. I'm not licensed to practice law in NM, so I have no idea what the law is there. You should ask a lawyer in NM.
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
No, not without an agreement of the parties at the time they stored the property.
Check with someone in New Mexico.