If someone assumes full financial responsibility for a child does that then exempt you from child support? 8 Answers as of January 24, 2013

My husband has owed child support, even back pay and it all of the sudden doesn’t show up anywhere.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
Your husband needs to find out what is going on. He does not want some court issuing an arrest warrant for him, or seizing his assets. Child support does not just disappear. Ever.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 1/24/2013
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
No parent can be exempt from paying child support once an other is made unless the other parent forgives it.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/21/2013
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
I am not sure that your question is clear but if there is a valid child support order that remains until it is modified. So, if the order has not changed the other person still owes support. If the child is now living with the other person, that person can seek credits for the times that child lived with them but they would still owe any arrears that were owed before the child moved in with them.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/21/2013
Correia-Champa & Mailhot
Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
I do not understand your question. However, if someone has a child support order and has not paid it, it doesn't go away unless there is either some agreement or some court order indicating that the order was somehow not valid or evidence of payment was produced. But generally an order is binding and the money is owed.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/21/2013
Bruning & Associates, PC
Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
Your husband may still owe child support.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/21/2013
    If there is an order for support it stays in effect until it is changed. Arrears keep building licenses get suspended tax refunds intercepted etc. get DCSS on the case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/21/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    What are you talking about? I have seen numerous post on this site that are hard to follow, or are very confusing, but in all honesty this is the worst of both, and also does not even make nonsense!!! Facts, Facts, Facts. Did the child live with you for a certain time period, and if yes was it court ordered. If yes how long . Was there a support order in place during that time. If yes what was the weekly amount ordered. Did the court order a change in placement of the child. If yes when, if no was it by agreement for the child to live with other parent. If it was court ordered, and this is important, did HE agree to waive child support from you. If yes then that is most likely your answer, you waived retro, for him waiving prospective. But in any event you need to supply a little more detail!!!
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 1/21/2013
    Rivera Legal Group, PLLC
    Rivera Legal Group, PLLC | Victor Rivera
    Child support, to include any arrearages, do not go away unless a court order releases you of that responsibility.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: