If somebody adopts my children, will I still pay child support? 11 Answers as of January 23, 2014

My ex mother in law wants to adopt my kids. So if she does, do I still pay for the child support for the children?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
Generally speaking in Arizona an order of adoption will end the responsibility of a biological parent to support the child. This may not impact past support due, depending on what orders may be in place. I suggest that you consult with a local and experienced adoption attorney to discuss this matter.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 1/23/2014
Ms. Cheryl Osterberg | Cheryl Osterberg
If you relinquish your parental rights, and a court approves the termination of your parental rights, then you would not be legally obligated to pay child support thereafter.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/22/2014
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You would still be responsible for support until the children are adopted.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/22/2014
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
If she actually adopts them as her own children, there would not be a child support payment.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/22/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Generally not, provided there is a legal adoption. At that point you will have lost all of your parental rights, and they will be vested in her.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/22/2014
    The Law Office of James P Peterson
    The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
    If your parental rights are terminated then your duty to pay future child support will end.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    If she adopts, your child support obligation will stop from that point forward. Any past due child support must still be paid. If she only becomes the guardian, you will still have to pay child support.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
    You would still owe past child support if you have accrued arrears. Your mother-in-law can agree to waive those? But if any public assistance was paid, that will not be waived.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    John Russo | John Russo
    Depends on the circumstances.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
    No if your child has been adopted then you have lost all rights to the child and have no obligation to pay support since you would no longer be considered the father if the child.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    Not if ther has been a termination of parental rights and an adoption has gone through.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 1/22/2014
Click to View More Answers: