If six year old twin boys entered my home with the intention of hurting my cat, should I file criminal charges? 4 Answers as of September 11, 2014

Two next door neighbors entered my entry way with a hammer with the intention of hurting my cat. I live in an attached condo and have stairs that go up. The boys just entered the entryway without going upstairs. They had a hammer with them and told me they wanted to see what it is like to hit a cat on the head with a hammer. I had another vandalism incident with these children, they damaged my car. Would I be able to file criminal charges against them for the cat incident?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Not if they never followed through with the intent. Am concerned about what they wanted to do. If you see questionable parenting by mother/father, check with DHS.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/11/2014
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
The family division of the Circuit Court has jurisdiction over minors 17 years old and younger. Proceedings before the family court are civil rather than criminal, and the family court has broad authority in sentencing a juvenile. Juvenile sentences, know as dispositions, can range from a warning, fine, or community service to placement in an institution or boot camp. If you are feeling threatened by these children this may be a viable option for you. If nothing else, the threat of such a suit may get the parents of the children to attempt to get these kids in line.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/8/2014
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
I think you should. They won't go to jail but the parents obviously can't get this under control.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/8/2014
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
You should definitely call the police to make note of it. This could easily escalate into something more serious. The police will forward the information to the prosecutor who will decide if it warrants criminal charges. You could always file civil charges or get a restraining order too. You should consult with a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/8/2014
Click to View More Answers: