If the roles are reversed, and there are no signs of abuse, can the man win in this situation? 3 Answers as of July 24, 2013

My impression is that women win custody, receive child support and palimony because the man is normally the breadwinner.

No, that is 1913 logic not 2013, and palimony where did you come up with that outdated argument? You are correct that with all things being equal the mother will usually win placement of the children especially if they are young, but the reasons for that are more nurturing then anything else, custody is not the factor that determines child support, placement is, today when all is equal the standard arrangement is joint custody, physical placement with mom or dad, again that is tilted to the mother but not because the men are the bread winners, truth be known more single mothers are working with the bust out fathers saying they can't afford their support orders because they can't find work. Another misunderstood concept is child support, both parents pay the parent with placement just receives the others share, which makes sense. Today even if the mother claims she can't work or find work and has placement the court is bound 99% of the time to impute income to her to create a fair child support order. I always find it amusing when you read a post from someone that says the mother of my child put, (love that phrase put) child support on me, Nooo, the child is yours also, and you are required under the law to help support and raise that child, that child did not ask to be born and now should not be asked to suffer because one or both parents don't believe they owe any obligation to that innocent person. I have heard every porky pig type of logic there is from both men and woman when it comes to child support obligations, and have yet to hear one to date that even makes simple nonsense.
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
In New Jersey and New York - the courts are "gender-neutral". We talk about monied spouse v. non-monied spouse.
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
There are many factors that go into the determination of custody arrangements, child support calculations and a spousal maintenance award; these issues are governed by different statutes. You will need to consult an attorney and share the details of your case in order to get a better assessment of whether someone will "win".