If possible, what would an estimate of the fine be and would I just get the fine or would I have to do community service? 1 Answers as of March 22, 2017

On Saturday night, I was caught shoplifting. I took a bottle of alcohol. I am 18 and I live with my parents. I would like to keep this from them if possible. What will the potential punishment be? I've read online that I will receive a fine that does not exceed $1000 and I have also read that I can get the misdemeanor reduced to an infraction since the value of the item stolen was less than $50. Would I be able to get the fine reduced? Will I get anything in the mail having to do with the court date or the ticket? What are my options and what should I do?

Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted it will really hurt your school/employment aspirations. You should talk to a lawyer, who may be able to work out a deal with the Judge whereby you can earn yourself a dismissal.