If a person intentionally lies to the police, lying to get someone else in trouble because they are envious of them, can they be charged with a crime? 2 Answers as of August 16, 2012

For example, they call the police and say this person is manufacturing drugs. I have a neighbor that is constantly calling the cops and lying on me about all kinds of things, because I wouldn’t have sex with her. Calls and says things even so petty as I took some dirt out of the flower bed. She calls the cops and tries to file a theft report for dirt, something so petty. Malicious intent should be punished like a hate crime.

Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
Absolutely. False report.
Durkin & Graham, P.C.
Durkin & Graham, P.C. | Joan Durkin
Filing a false police report is illegal but you would need to talk with the local DA to see if they will charge her. Also slander/defamation is a civil case. To prosecute that you would likely need to come up with a retainer of $2000 to get started and unless she has money to collect from you really don't come out ahead.