If a person caused an accident, can they be held responsible for the medical bills that were a result? 14 Answers as of August 25, 2015

My wife and I were involved in an auto accident while driving home from a birthday party. It was ruled that the crash was not our fault. The medical bills from injuries that were a result of the collision have amounted to around $1 million.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Yes, medical bills are usually the main part of a personal injury case. Call me if you need a referral of a good lawyer in your area.
Typically, the person(s) responsible for injuries are responsible for the bills, but in Michigan, we have a no-fault law that complicates this otherwise simple situation.
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC | Jeffery Robinette
I am so sorry to hear that you and your wife have suffered to this extent. Yes, the other driver's insurance should cover medical bills, past and future, lost wages, pain and suffering and repair or replacement of your vehicle. The amount or which you may be eligible will vary depending on their insurance. You also may receive compensation from your own insurance policy if you carried under-insured motorist coverage for your own vehicle. You really need to talk to an experienced National Board Certified, Super Lawyer rated attorney in WV who focuses on car accident compensation. Check Avvo for client reviews. You only have two years from the date of the collision to file a lawsuit, so do not delay in contacting an attorney for a free consultation. A WV car accident lawyer will find all available coverage for you, and you will not have to pay anything until you receive money from a settlement.
Answer Applies to: West Virginia
Unfortunately, your situation is very common, I've had the same questio asked of me twice within the past week.
Asked and answered. ?You have medical bills of $1 million and have never seen an attorney about the case
    Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
    A negligent driver can be held legally responsible for all reasonably forseeable harm including medical expenses.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    The person who caused the accident can be held responsible for your medical bills, as well as pain and suffering and loss of income. With medical bills as high as your bills are in your case, it would be important to see what kind of insurance coverage the other car in the accident had. Thank you for your email.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Yes. Obviously, if you believe in your claim you'll stop wasting time on the internet or doing nothing and retain a personal injury attorney. Your challenge will be to find assets (e.g., insurance) sufficient to pay these costs.
    This question appears to be identical to one I answered yesterday afternoon. Nothing has changed since then. Notify all insurance companies involved. Get copies of all your medical bills.
    That would be a yes.
    They will bankrupt you if you sue them.
    Ankerholz and Smith
    Ankerholz and Smith | Rian F. Ankerholz
    The person who caused the accident should be held responsible for the resulting damages. Medical bills are certainly one element of damages that is listed in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit. Various factors will determine the amount that is recovered for the medical expenses, including applicable insurance coverage and write-downs. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer without delay, as time limitations apply.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    That would be a yes.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
    Yes. And if you have medical bills from the injuries which were the result of the collision totaling about $1 million, you should proceed immediately to an attorney.