If only my spouse files, what am I liable for and what happens to my credit? 12 Answers as of July 22, 2011

If I purchase a new home and a car for him to drive, will I get in trouble or will it affect my credit?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
If you are a non-filing spouse, your credit will not be affected
If one spouse files and the other does not the non-filer's credit will not be affected. The exception would be filing a joint credit application in which the bankruptcy would show up.
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
you are liable for whatever you signed, or in community states her debts too up to 1/2
Nothing should happen to you if you are not liable for his debts
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
Liable for joint debts and credit will get hurt .
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    You would be liable for any joint debts. Otherwise, you should not be affected by spouses BK, and you can supply him with home and car.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    You would be liable for any joint debt that your spouse discharges. If you can, on your own, pay for a new house and car, you can but it must be only in your name and only your money must pay for it. That is the reason many spouses don't file together. Particularly when they have no joint debt. Beware though, you cannot use his money for a down payment (assuming that he has some kind of nest egg put away). That would be defrauding the creditors by not paying them.
    Saedi Law Group
    Saedi Law Group | Lorena Saedi
    They only way you could be liable for any debts of your spouse would be if you were a co-signer of those debts. If you are not a co-signer then your credit should not be affected. Whether or not a purchase or a home and/or car would affect your spouse's case would depend on: 1. What Chapter you filed. 2. How much equity were in these assets. 3. How these assets where titled.
    I'd suggest you meet with a lawyer before you get too creative and create a problem.
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
    Your credit and your husband's are completely different, assuming of course that all of his debts are only his. If you have joint debt, usually you are ok if you keep on the payment plan for these debts. But a spouse's debt and ensuing bankruptcy does not really affect the non-bankruptcy spouse.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    If you have joint debt you'll be liable on your own. Your income and expenses need to be shown on his petition. No reason you can't buy yourself what you want.