If my son was detained but not arrested now there's a court date for embezzlement, what will happen in court? 12 Answers as of October 01, 2013

My son is 19, worked at a store. He took receipts, then took the item off the shelf and returned it for cash. Corporate security questioned him then turned him over to police who just detained him without arrest. They let him go and 90 days later, we get a letter with a court date for embezzlement. What might happen? Is this date to pay a fine or might they arrest him then? Do we need a lawyer?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
He is facing felony criminal charges, and may go to prison.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/1/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
If he is being charged with embezzlement, he needs an attorney, since embezzlement carries potential jail time. The date on the notice you received is his initial court date or arraignment date where he will formally be advised of the charges against him and where he will need to plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If he cannot afford an attorney, he will have the opportunity to request a public defender to represent him at the arraignment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/17/2013
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
The court date is for your son to appear in court and either plead guilty or not guilty. He needs to hire an attorney to represent him. He risks jail time and a hefty fine if he just pleads guilty without an attorney representing him.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/12/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Embezzlement is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted he can kiss his career aspirations goodbye. You need to hire a lawyer for him before he gets duped into a plea he will regret for life, or forget he has the right to remain silent and cop himself out in open court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/12/2013
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
Yes, you should get a lawyer. The first court date, he will be formally charged. At that time, the judge can either release him without bond, or require that a bond be posted in order to be released. How much that bond would be is up to the judge. Definitely hire an attorney. He is looking at felony charges.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/12/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You need an attorney. The court date is a arraignment hearing. At that time, the prosecutor will read into the record the charges against your son. A pre-trial hearing date will be set at that time. Not knowing the amount taken, he may be charged with a felony or gross misdemeanor.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 9/12/2013
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    You need a lawyer since it may be the best way to have the charge dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 9/12/2013
    Yeargan & Yarrough, L.L.C. | Michael D. Barber, Jr.
    The decision to hire a lawyer is in your discretion. Keep in mind that embezzlement is a crime and can carry jail time in addition to a fine. You may want to at least consult with an attorney, and give that attorney all the facts and information so that the attorney can make an informed decision about your son's situation. Good luck, let us know if we can help.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/12/2013
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    That is arraignment. You definitely need counsel. You need to not say more on public boards. If I were a DA and came across this post, I would sub you as a witness.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/12/2013
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    If they sent him a letter that generally means they did not issue a warrant for his arrest. If he appears the court will likely released him OR, or by signing a promise to appear at future court dates. The important question is whether it is a felony or misdemeanor. That usually would depend on the value of the property taken, and the money he received. If they sent him a letter to appear it may only be a misdemeanor.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/12/2013
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    You need a lawyer to handle the case.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 9/12/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney