If my sister applies for my green card while I work, will this speed up the process? 5 Answers as of January 18, 2011

I am on J1 visa. If I apply for green card (employment based). What will be the time taken to get my green card? My sister is a US citizen (homemaker, who does not pay income tax). Is it possible for her to apply for my green card when I am working in the US? What will be the time taken in this case? Which one is best suited to my case?

There is no reason why you can't apply under both categories. The application by your sister is likely to be much slower than the employment-based; but it depends on which employment category you qualify for. There is also the issue of whether your current J-1 subjects you to the two-year foreign residency requirement (or a waiver of this requirement) before you can become a permanent resident or change to certain other nonimmigrant statuses.

We would be happy to consult with you on the specifics of your case. I do charge for consultations $350 per hour - but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Your sister can petition for you, but this petition will take over ten years.
No, this will not speed the immigration process.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
The time frame for a US citizen to file a petition for a sibling is approximately 10 years. The time frame for most employment based cases is 5to 7 years. If the job requires a master's degree or higher and you have one, then the time frame is much quicker. I cannot tell from your post what type fits your case. However, unless you fit into that higher category, it is unlikely that you would be able to remain here on a J visa for the pendency of these applications. I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney to determine exactly what path suits you and whether you can change to another non-immigrant visa status while you are waiting.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Employment based would be your best bet as your sister's petition would take close to 9 nine years.