If my neighbor receives SSI but her son has power of attorney and has her card, and is out of state, what can I do for her? 12 Answers as of October 18, 2017

The son has no intention of coming home or helping her, what can I do for her? I'm only 19 but she needs my help.

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
A power of attorney can always be revoked and a new one issued. I would assume that a duplicate card(misplaced)should be able to be issued.
Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
If your neighbor is of sound mind, she can revoke the power of attorney if her son is not fulfilling his duties required of him. She can execute another power of attorney appointing another person who is capable of helping her.
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
If there is a question that the son is not taking care of the financial needs of your neighbor, Social Security Administration could find the neighbor a person or entity who lives closer to help with the financial affairs. Check with SSA.
The woman needs to revoke the power of attorney and set up a new arrangement for her SSI payments.
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
Call DCF elder abuse hotline report online at https://reportabuse.dcf.state.fl.us/.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
    You could report the situation to a local agency that assists elderly persons.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    She can revoke the Power and notify Social Security with the document.
    A power of attorney can be terminated at any time. Your neighbor can do it herself or she can ask for help from her attorney, the local Department of Aging office or other entity that assists seniors or the disabled, or the state or local Social Security office. Other possible resources are churches and nonprofit human services agencies. Check in the local phone book or on-line for names and phone numbers. I?m not sure what card you?re referring to but it probably should be with your neighbor rather than her son. I would not recommend that you take on any legal responsibility for your neighbor. You can help her more by being her friend.
    The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
    Inform social security office of the situation.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    Ask your neighbor if you can meet with her and with her caseworker. You don't want to give her cash or pay any expenses for her, as this risks disqualifying her. You may be able to provide help to her at no cost. But it is best to discuss this kind of assistance with her caseworker prior to doing it.
    GordenLaw, LLC
    GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
    You will need to report it as potential elder neglect/financial abuse to the Nebraska DHHS hotline.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    She can change her power of attorney at anytime. She needs to complete and execute a new power of attorney that revokes all prior poa's. She should advise her son of the change. She can apply for a new card declaring the prior card as lost.