If my mom has passed away, how do I get my name put on the house? 3 Answers as of September 21, 2017

My mother passed away 2 years ago. I would like to get my name put on the house. Thank you.

Shimberg and Crohn, P.C. | Jonathan Shimberg
There process that must be followed to get the house in your name. It depends on whose name is on the title now. If it was just Mom, then an Affidavit of Heirship must be prepared to show to who is passes to, if there is no will. If there is a will, the will has to be filed and depending on the size of the estate and the date of death of your Mom, a probate may have to be opened. There are also may other possible twists and turns.
Law Office of T. Phillip Boggess | T. Phillip Boggess
You most likely will have to open a probate proceeding. Typically no one has the authority to sign on behalf of your mom or the estate without that proceeding.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
Did you mother have a will? What form of ownership shows on the deed? Was she married at the time of death? Did she have any children besides you? Many facts are unknown so the question cannot be answered. You should see an attorney. It is likely that a probate must be opened.